Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

Your employer can ask you to confirm that you've been ill.You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. This is called self-certification.

If you're sick and off work for more than seven days, your employer will probably ask for proof of your illness. Most employers ask for a fit note from your GP.

‘Sick’ Notes – Information for Employers and Employees During COVID-19

Please note that our doctors can only issue ‘sick’ notes for patients who are medically unwell.

We are unable to deliver occupational health services.

Patients self-isolating during the current Coronavirus pandemic can obtain a self-isolation note for employers here

Anyone in a ‘vulnerable’ group (those who would usually be offered a seasonal flu vaccination) is currently advised to adhere to the Government’s recommendations on strict social distancing guidelines.  We are not able to provide ‘sick’ notes for employers. 

Further details for employers are available here

Those in a very high risk group are advised to follow the Government’s ‘shielding’ guidance.  These patients will already or may shortly have a letter from the NHS with full information on what ‘shielding’ means.  These patients need to stay home for 3 months. 

Given the pressures on NHS services at this time, we would be extremely grateful if the Government guidance can be followed and requests for notes from GPs to confirm an individual’s status as a ‘vulnerable’ person avoided.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website